Recipe taken from Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing. Recipe adjusted for 75% efficiency, 5 gallon batch size (I boiled off more). Magnum pellets substituted for Northdown whole hops. Fenugreek omitted in boil. Will probably add at secondary along with coriander. "Beet sugar" should be Indian jaggery (gud/molasses), about a golden, light brown sugar color. Yeast is Wyeast 1882 Thames Valley II.
|Enter desired final yield (volume):|
|9.00 pounds||85.7% of grist|
|1.50 pounds||14.3% of grist|
Total Grain Weight (Water Amounts
|100% of grist|
|2.00 pounds||Beet Sugar|
Magnum12.1% Pellets @ 90 minutes
Kent Golding5.0% Leaf @ 5 minutes
|5.00 ounces||Total Hop Weight||32.1 AAUs|
|Total Boil Time:||90 minutes|
|Name:||Thames Valley Ale|
Mash water is 4 gallons water, 2 parts Milwaukee tap and 2 parts RO water. Treated with 1/4 campden tablet and 2 tsp or 8 grams gypsum.
Mashed at 152F for 60 minutes. First runnings were just under 3 gallons at 1.073 specific gravity. 3 gallons Milwaukee tap water sparge resulted in 5.8 final preboil volume at 1.049 specific gravity.
Jaggery added and preboil gravity measured at 1.062. About one gallon of water was put into the mash tun and recovered wort (1.021 SG) was boiled to produce starter wort for future batches. Lot of sugar still here yet that could be going into the beer.
A lot of protein break was produced, and 4 oz of leaf hops will soak up a lot of wort. Chilled down to 80F. Final volume was 4.6 gallons at 1.076 original gravity. Probably collected just over 4 gallons of wort in fermenter, where I cooled it down to 62-65F and pitched yeast. Yeast was a 2-stage starter, 1 L each from 3 month old slurry, 50-100mL that was started Monday (today is Saturday).
9/5/10 Day 7 - Infused just enough vodka to cover 14g of crushed coriander, as well as 3g ground fenugreek in a separate mason jar.
9/12/10 Day 14 - SG=1.014. Taste is very young. Hoppy but not aromatic. EKG must be quite subdued. Taste of warming alcohol. After initial days of fermentation at 68F, beer temp climbed to 70/72F for duration.
10/4/10 Day 36 - Bottling Day. Yielded 4 gallons to bucket so I added 2.5 oz corn sugar, targeting just over 2 volumes CO2. Bottled 21 12oz bottles of base beer (about 2 gallons). Added 6 ml of fenugreek-infused vodka (filtered) to roughly 1 gallon (filled 10 bottles) and 12 ml coriander-infused vodka to the last bit of beer (filled 8 bottles).
Fenugreek added a maple syrup type flavor and aroma. Beer still very young as alcohol comes through somewhat stronger than I'd like. Otherwise no obvious off flavors and dry enough for me to keep drinking...I hope! Probably will let this one age until Thanksgiving to crack open one to see if it needs until Christmas to enjoy.
10/24/10 About 7 weeks after brewday - Tossed one bottle of base IPA into the fridge for a sample in a few days.
10/25/10 Cracked the bottle open to a nice pfft of carbonation, so reyeasting at bottling seems to have helped. Foamed quite a bit on the pour, could be carbonation or the amount of hops/wheat. Head persisted all the way down this very drinkable 8% beer. The gypsum brightens the bitterness and the EKG hops are the showcase in flavor with a moderate aroma. I really enjoyed this one. Now its a matter of how much I keep to myself over giving them away!
11/8/10 - Bottles are really overcarbed though the beer itself tastes good. Reyeasting shouldn't have caused this, so my guess is that there was still plenty of residual sugar left after a month of primary. This has been a problem with my english yeast and/or beers that have cane sugar in the recipe that I've bottled. Kind of embarrassing when you give away bottles and they foam up on opening. Not sure if I should open the rest of the lot, degas, and recap.
11/16/10 - Bottle I had last night is really spicy with a lemony/floral aroma. Clear. The flavor, coupled with the carbonation level, bitterness and alcohol are not doing it for me at all. Actually did not finish the pint. I'm wondering if its an overuse of the Goldings or something else. This beer reminds me of the late-hopped Amarillo beer I made earlier this year (3.5oz at 15 minutes) but that was much more pleasant to drink.
12/22/10 - It is now my belief that pitching yeast at bottling is what has done in this batch. I think what has happened is that either the Nottingham ate additional sugars the original strain did not. I may have been better off chilling the beer once sufficient carbonation was achieved as at that point I felt the beer was just as expected. I let it carbonate a couple weeks more at warmer temps and that may have just been enough for the yeast to do the extra work. The excessive carbonation makes the beer rather harsh and for an IPA that is doubly harsh with all the hops. A careful pour and a _thorough_ warming and degassing make this beer much more enjoyable.
I decided that after about 3 weeks of infusion, I would add the spices at bottling. The amount of cracked seeds infused was equal to what was recommended for either late in the boil or in secondary for 5 gallons. I scaled what I added to the beer to the equivalent for 1 gallon, each.
|Primary:||36 days @ 66-72° F|
|Age:||60 days @ ° F|