First stovetop brew-in-a-bag (BIAB) all-grain batch.
I've grown up with all-grain using 5 gallon batches and a 60qt cooler mash tun but wanted to downsize during the winter for a couple of reasons 1) more frequent brewdays to test recipes 2) reduce equipment, mess and amount of cleaning and 3) stay indoors to satisfy #1 and #2.
I did 1.5-2 gallon batches using an 8qt cooler mashtun and despite a small adjustment period, it still suffered from some awkwardness and didn't help with keeping the mess to a minimum. So I switched to BIAB using my old 20qt extract kettle to see what would happen.
This is also a slow or no-chill batch, so hop addition times were adjusted. Original hop additions and IBU calculations (if chilled) should be at 45 and 30 minutes. I added hops at 25 and 10 minutes but calculated IBUs at 45 and 30 minutes, respectively.
I did not adjust hops after finding out I overshot my expected OG by nearly 10 points. I didn't adjust my water with acid/RO dilution/gypsum and I think that has affected the quality of the hop bitterness and flavor (harsh...soapy?). I dosed a glass with some dissolved gypsum and this "character" went away so I'll be sure to repeat this with water changes in mind. Got to find that pale ale/lager water profile!
|Enter desired final yield (volume):|
Centennial6.1% Pellets @ 45 minutes
Centennial6.1% Pellets @ 30 minutes
|3.86 ounces||Total Hop Weight||11.3 AAUs|
|Total Boil Time:||70 minutes|
First time BIAB so adjusted mash efficiency to 65% expecting lower yield. I'd probably get closer to 70-75% my usual mash. Using nearly all water I need in the mash, with a small sparge to top up kettle.
3.5 gallons of Milwaukee tap (campden-treated, no other salt additions) into 20qt kettle. This amount of water plus grains is about 4 gallons mash volume, about an inch from the top of my kettle. I assumed 0.07 gallons water absorption per lb grain (almost half of my previous batch-sparge method. Heated to ~162F. Put fine mesh bag into pot and added grains. Stir and stabilize temp at 152-154F. Noticed mash was hotter than expected by several degrees. Adjust next time. Covered pot with lid and wrapped in blanket to insulate. Rest 60 minutes.
Lift bag to drain wort and recovered 2.9 gallons, 1.071 specific gravity. Already impressed with extraction. Rinsed grains with additional water (~1.8 gallons) into separate pot but only transferred ~1-1.1 gallons. This step is probably not needed so I could have just added water to the kettle to reach my preboil volume of 4 gallons.
Assume 20% evaporation/hr in this pot on the stove for a 3-3.2 gallon final volume. Boil 45 minutes, then add first hop addition. Boil 15 minutes then add second hop addition, whirlfloc and yeast nutrient. At flameout, cover pot and transfer to basement to leave cool overnight. OG=1.072, much higher than expected!
Transfer to 5 gallon carboy. Lost nearly 0.5 gallons to hops/protein. Rehydrate 1 packet dry yeast and pitch next afternoon, approximately 24 hours after flameout. Temperature 60F in basement. No temperature control but anticipate temperature raised no higher than 3-4 degrees.
Day 7 - SG=1.011, krausen has fallen and little to no activity observed. Transfer to 3 gallon Better Bottle. Sample tastes good to go, with sufficient bitterness. Little hop flavor, aroma. Hazy.
Day 8 Add dryhop for 3-5 days, transferring to keg when aroma is at peak.
|Primary:||7 days @ 60° F|