My first attempt at a mead inspired by my attendance at the Brew-U Mead event on 10/17/09 at the House of Hamburg. I had my gf pick me up some honey while she was up at her parents store in Tomahawk, hence the name.
|Manufacturer:||Lallemand - Lalvin|
Single Carboy, No Boil
|Batch Size:||5 gallons||Boil Volume:||0 gallons|
|Evaporation Rate:||0% per hour||Mash Tun Dead Space:||0 gallons|
|Efficiency:||75%||Mash Tun Weight:||0 pounds|
|Hop Utilization:||0%||Mash Tun Volume:||0 gallons|
|Loss:||0 gallons||Mash Tun Specific Heat:||0 Cal/gram per °C|
No boil. Just pour the contents into the carboy.
Famous for Pilsners and Lagers.
1. Mixed 5 jars (2 lb 5 oz each) of Bee Haven Farms Honey from Shawno, WI with water in 7 gallon bucket.
2. Mixed enough water to be around 5 gallons with a OG around 1.080 - end up at 1.083.
3. Mixed 1 tsp Purple Foot Energizer and 2 tsp Purple Foot Nutrient in a bag. Added .75 tsp of this mixture prior to pitching yeast and stirred the heck out of the must.
4. Rehydrated one packet (5 grams) of Lalvin 71B-1122 dry yeast with 1/2 cup 104 degree water for 15 minutes and pitched.
5. Covered, added airlock and let sit in kitchen around 62-65 degrees. This was on 11/12 at 7PM.
6. Stirred frantically again and added .75 tsp of nutrient mixture on 11/14 at noon.
7. Stirred frantically again and added .75 tsp of nutrient mixture on 11/15 at noon.
8. At 8AM on 11/17 took gravity (1.040) and added remaining nutrient mixture while stirring frantically one last time.
9. After activity stopped plus a couple days, checked gravity on 11-25 and it was at 0.998. Racked to secondary and move to cooler room. About 56-58 degrees.
|Primary:||13 days @ 64° F|
|Secondary:||45 days @ 54° F|